Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sinkhole - USA (California) JAN

SAN DIEGO — An unstable chunk of hillside in the upscale La Jolla neighborhood slipped another five or six feet Thursday afternoon, shoving into already-damaged houses at the bottom of the slide zone.

The city has been rushing to stabilize the street of million-dollar homes since the initial collapse in October sent a 200-foot-long section of earth 20 feet downhill.

"It's not uncommon for this to happen as you're making those repairs in a landslide zone but it's still a setback," said San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders in a news conference at the site.

Workers were preparing to drive giant steel pins into the toe of the slide zone when the land began to shift again. Pins have already been positioned 60 to 65 feet deep along the lip of the collapse on Soledad Mountain Road to hold the rest of the earth in place while repairs and reconstruction proceed.

City spokesman Bill Harris said it's not clear how much additional damage the new collapse has caused to houses at the bottom of the slide zone.

There were no reports of injuries.

Six houses were uninhabitable after October's collapse. Residents have blamed the city for not recognizing the threat after cracks appeared in the street above. It caused an estimated $48 million in damage. - Source

10 comments:

Projetor said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Projetores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://projetor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Flores Online said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Flores Online, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://flores-on-line.blogspot.com. A hug.

joraliz said...

This is a very informative site. I would like to add to the list of reference the ALL Florida Ramjack, LLC.
Ram Jack's patented lift system is used to recover settlement of your home. High carbon, steel pilings are driven vertically by 70,000 lbs. of hydraulic power to an average of 22 feet below your home to anchor the structure and prevent future settlement. A hydraulic pump uses a synchronized lift to raise the affected areas of your home simultaneously to maximum practical recovery. In addition grout is pumped through the specially engineered piers to fill the existing voids. The grout solidifies around the support piers creating a permanent and effective stabilization method.

Anonymous said...

I just discovered the website who discuss about
many
home business opportunity

If you want to know more here it is
home business opportunity
www.home-businessreviews.com

Anonymous said...

interesting read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

I didn't understand the concluding part of your article, could you please explain it more?

Anonymous said...

Thanks on your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.

I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back later in life.
I want to encourage you to ultimately continue your great
job, have a nice holiday weekend!

Feel free to surf to my blog post: www.almostmd.com

Anonymous said...

I like the helpful info you provide in your articles.
I will bookmark your blog and check again here regularly.
I'm quite certain I will learn plenty of new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

my weblog ... golf gps

Anonymous said...

I think this is among the so much vital information for me.
And i am glad studying your article. However
wanna commentary on few general things, The site style is perfect,
the articles is really excellent : D. Just right activity, cheers

Also visit my web site :: hobbies oder hobbys *http://elearning.nccu.edu.tw/*

Anonymous said...

Howdy just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the images aren't loading properly. I'm not
sure why but I think its a linking issue. I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

Have a look at my web page :: weight loss calculator


http://www.meebo.com/rooms